A Checklist Before You Start Property Renovation
Planning a commercial building renovation? Premiere Works has gained the reputation as the top commercial renovation company serving Washington, D.C. and surrounding areas. Our wide range of expertise in all commercial renovation services — from remediation to construction — uniquely qualifies us to provide top-quality commercial renovations that will meet your company’s needs and expectations.
Whether you need a simple office remodel or are planning a full-building commercial property renovation, the best place to start is with proper planning. This handy checklist will guide you through the initial steps of planning your commercial remodeling project.
If you have any questions before you start, give us a call at 202-966-0090.
Commercial Renovation and Construction Pre-Planning Checklist
- Hire an Architect or Commercial Renovation Contractor
The first step in planning your project is to schedule a walk-through of your property with an expert such as a general contractor experienced in commercial renovation or an architect (this is often the project architect, but doesn’t have to be.) This person will assess the property for zoning issues, code violations, and potential need for remediation. They may also offer ideas for how best to use the space to meet your goals.
- Create a Budget for the Project
The next step is to determine a budget for the project with the help of your commercial renovation expert. It’s important to keep ROI as well as price in mind when doing this. You’ll want to analyze all factors that affect ROI, including energy efficiency, long-term maintenance costs, potential rent and property value increases, and duration of ownership/tenancy.
- Evaluate the Project for Feasibility
Not every commercial remodel that is envisioned makes sense to implement. There are a number of obstacles that can impact your commercial renovation cost. Needless to say, this can affect the feasibility of a project. Some of these include:
- Zoning: If your proposed renovation violates zoning laws, you will need to request a variance. It is up to the zoning board whether or not to approve your request.
- Code compliance: Sometimes, bringing a building up to current code can prove to be more costly than is practical.
- Remediation: Removal of environmental hazards such as asbestos, mold or lead paint can be costly. Often, remediation must take priority and can sometimes eat up the lion’s share of the allotted budget for a remodeling project.
Benefits of Commercial Property Renovation
A commercial remodel is a smart investment for many reasons. It can:
- Attract higher quality tenants and/or employees
- Increase property value and/or rental income
- Increase traffic to your business
- Improve public perception of your brand
- Improve employee productivity
- Increase energy efficiency
- Create a safer work environment
- Create a greener workplace
The first step to realizing these benefits for your company is to get in touch with a competent commercial remodeling contractor such as Premiere Works. To speak with one of our commercial renovation experts, contact us online or call us at 202-966-0090.